It’s easy to use SNAP benefits at Illinois farmers markets. Just bring your LINK card to the Market and you’re all set!
How the LINK token system works:
- The patron brings their LINK card to the City tent, located at the northwest entrance to the Market.
- The card is swiped for the desired amount at the City’s wireless terminal.
- Upon approval, the patron receives the desired amount in Market Scratch – wooden tokens for LINK purchases. LINK tokens are worth $1.00 each.
- Urbana’s Market at the Square will match the desired amount, up to $20 per Saturday, thanks to funding provided by Farm Credit and LINK Up Illinois.
- Patron goes into the Market and spends their tokens at vendor booths selling LINK-eligible foods within the main Market space. Be sure to grab a map and listing of eligible vendors! Or ask a member of our Market Staff for a tour!
Does every vendor accept LINK and WIC farmers market nutrition program vouchers?
Only vendors selling LINK-eligible foods will accept LINK Market Scratch. WIC farmers market nutrition program vouchers may only be redeemed at produce stands displaying the Illinois WIC voucher. For a complete listing of LINK and WIC eligible vendors visit the information tent in the northwest corner of the Market.
Does it cost anything to use LINK?
There is no charge whatsoever for LINK transactions.
Do I get change back for my LINK tokens?
Change cannot be given for LINK tokens, so the purchase is rounded up or down as appropriate by the vendor.
What happens if I don’t spend all my LINK tokens? Can I use them the following week?
Market tokens can be used week-to-week and season-to-season. WIC farmers market nutrition program vouchers have specific time frames in which they may be used. The dates are listed on each voucher. If you have any questions please ask one of our Market Staff members at the information tent located in the northwest corner of the Market.
For more information about using LINK and WIC at the Market please watch the following video: