Strawberry Rhubarb Pop Tarts
Highlighted ingredients can be bought at the Market!
- 1 cup rhubarb stems removed, chopped
- 1/2 cup strawberries chopped
- 1/4 cup orange juice (optional)
- 2 Tbsp raw sugar or maple syrup (or honey if not V)
- 2 cups flour + more for rolling (1 cup whole wheat pastry + 1 cup unbleached all purpose)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2/3 cup cold vegan butter cold (such as Earth Balance)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 Tbsp vegan butter melted
- 2-3 tsp pomegranate juice or other similar juice
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Prepare the compote by placing rhubarb, strawberries, raw sugar, and orange juice in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally and smashing down with a spoon to muddle the fruit together. If it bubbles too much, turn down to low heat.
Transfer to a bowl to cool.
In a large bowl, mix flour and salt, then cut in butter with a fork or pastry cutter until well combined. Drizzle ice cold water over the mixture in 1 Tablespoon amounts and mix with a wooden spoon until it starts to form a dough. It usually takes about 2-3 Tbsp, but you may need to add up to 5 Tbsp. It should be moist enough to form into a ball, but not too sticky to handle.
Turn onto a floured surface, gently shape into a disc, and then use a floured rolling pin to roll into a large rectangle. I find it helpful to place a sheet of plastic wrap over the dough while rolling to reduce cracking.
Cut into 16 equal squares and carefully transfer to a baking sheet. Place about 1 Tbsp of the fruit filling onto 8 of the squares, leaving a 1/4 inch border to seal the edges. Then use your finger to run water around the edges so the two squares stick together. Top the squares with their matching halves and then seal lightly with a fork.
Poke a few holes in the top of each pop tart, brush with a bit of melted vegan butter, sprinkle with raw sugar (optional), and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
Let cool and then top with glaze if desired. To prepare glaze, simply whisk together melted vegan butter, powdered sugar and add juice 1 teaspoon at a time until desired consistency is reached. The glaze is not necessary, but recommended for sweeter pop tarts.
Store leftovers in a covered container at room temp for up to a few days.
- $1.40 per serving
- 6 ingredients
Why Is It Healthy?
- Strawberries are a low in sugar and high in antioxidants and fiber. They are have more vitamin C than an orange!
- Rhubarb helps improve digestion, prevent Alzheimer’s disease, increase skin health, prevent cancer, and optimize metabolism.
- Maple syrup has a lower glycemic index than regular sugar with many added nutrients. It’s a great source of protective antioxidants, fights inflammation, and reduces indigestion.
This recipe is from Minimalist Baker
Go to minimalistbaker.com to see more recipes!