Mushroom & Leek Risotto
Highlighted ingredients can be bought at the Market!
- 3 1/2-4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz mushrooms bella or crimini (sub up to half with shitake), brushed clean, sliced
- sea salt & black pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup leeks thinly sliced (or sub shallot)
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1/4 cup dry white wine (or more veg broth)
- optional toppings: vegan butter, parmesan cheese
- fresh chopped parsley to garnish
In a small saucepan, heat vegetable broth over medium heat. Once simmering, reduce heat to low to keep warm.
In the meantime, heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Once hot, add 1 Tbsp olive oil and mushrooms.
Season with a pinch each salt and pepper and sauté until tender and slightly browned - 3-4 minutes - stirring frequently. Remove from pan and set aside in a small dish.
Heat the same large saucepan over medium heat once more. Once hot, add 1 Tbsp olive oil and leeks. Sauté for 1-2 minutes, or until softened and very slightly browned.
Add arborio rice, and cook for 1 minute, stirring occasionally to coat.
Add dry white wine and stir gently. Cook for 1-2 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed.
Using a ladle, add warmed vegetable stock 1/2 cup (120 ml) at a time, stirring almost constantly, giving the risotto little breaks to come back to a simmer. The heat should be medium, and there should always be a slight simmer. You want the mixture to be cooking but not boiling, or it will get gummy and cook too fast.
Continue to add vegetable stock, stirring to incorporate, until the rice is 'al dente' - cooked through but still has a slight bite. This whole process should only take 15-20 minutes.
Once the rice is cooked through and al dente, remove from heat and add vegan butter (optional), vegan parmesan cheese, and most of the cooked mushrooms from earlier, reserving a few for serving. Stir to coat.
Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding a pinch of salt and pepper to taste, or more vegan parmesan to enhance the cheesiness. To serve, divide between serving bowls and top with remaining mushrooms, additional vegan parmesan cheese, and a sprinkle of parsley (optional). Best when fresh, though leftovers will keep covered in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
- $2.00 per serving
- 30 minutes or less
- 10 ingredients
Why Is It Healthy?
- Mushrooms are rich in B vitamins such as riboflavin, folate, thiamine, pantothenic acid, and niacin. They are also the only vegan, non-fortified dietary source of vitamin D.
- Arborio Rice is a better source of fiber than regular rice and provides long lasting fuel from it’s carb content which also creates the creamy texture.
- Leeks are a low calorie, detoxifying veggie. They also have essential vitamins such as vitamin C, K, and vitamin E.