Creamy Asparagus & Pea Soup
Highlighted ingredients can be bought at the Market!
- Olive or avocado oil
- 12 oz asparagus (large bundle), trimmed
- 10 oz peas fresh or frozen, ~2 cups
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 shallot thinly sliced
- salt & pepper
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened plain almond milk
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1-2 Tbsp nutritional yeast (optional, for a slightly cheesy flavor)
- 1/2 lemon juiced (optional, for brightness)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and spread asparagus on a bare baking sheet. Drizzle with oil of choice and season lightly with salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
Roast for 15 minutes, then set aside.
Heat a large saucepan or pot medium heat. Once hot, add 2 Tbsp oil and shallot and garlic. Season lightly with salt and pepper and stir to coat. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until fragrant and translucent. Reduce heat if garlic begins browning.
Add peas, vegetable broth and almond milk and season with salt and pepper once more.
Transfer soup to blender along with asparagus (reserve some for garnish if desired). Blend soup until creamy and smooth. Transfer back to pot and bring to medium heat and simmer.
Add nutritional yeast and whisk. Continue cooking until warmed through and simmering, then reduce heat to low.
Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, adding more salt and pepper if desired. Remove from heat and add lemon juice.
Serve soup with a touch of black pepper and/or vegan parmesan cheese. Leftovers keep covered in the fridge for up to a few days, though best when fresh.
- $1.90 per serving
- 9 ingredients
Why Is It Healthy?
- Asparagus is packed with antioxidants, ranking among the top fruits and vegetables for its ability to neutralize cell-damaging free radicals - which can slow aging!
- Peas are a great source of vitamins, protein, and fiber with 6 grams per serving. They are slightly sweet, adding flavor and green goodness to meals.
- Garlic is nature’s antibiotic. Garlic strengthens the immune system, helps prevent infection, and reduce blood pressure, lowering risk of heart disease!
This recipe is from Minimalist Baker
Go to minimalistbaker.com to see more recipes!