Cheesy Jalapeño Corn Dip
Highlighted ingredients can be bought at the Market!
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 shallot chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups fresh corn cut off the cob (~4 ears)
- Sea salt & black pepper
- 1 jalapeño minced (seeds, stem removed)
- 8 oz cream cheese (use vegan if needed)
- 2/3 cup raw cashews
- 2-3 Tbsp nutritional yeast plus more to taste
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- 4-6 Tbsp water (or unsweetened plain almond milk)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 C).
Heat a cast iron or oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Add 1 Tbsp olive oil, shallot and garlic. Stir constantly to prevent burning.
Add corn, a healthy pinch each sea salt and pepper and stir. Cook for 3-5 minutes until shallots appear softened and the corn is slightly darker in color. Add the jalapeños in the last minute of cooking, then remove from heat and set aside.
To a blender, add vegan cream cheese, soaked (drained) cashews, nutritional yeast, cumin, 4 Tbsp (60 ml) water or almond milk, remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil, and a healthy pinch each salt and pepper. Blend on high, scraping down sides as needed, until creamy and smooth. Add only enough water or almond milk to encourage blending. You want it very creamy, thick, and pourable.
Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, adding more cumin for smokiness, nutritional yeast for cheesiness, and salt and pepper for overall flavor.
Pour the sauce into the skillet with the corn mixture (see photo). Stir until well combined, then smooth down with a spoon or spatula.
Bake for 10-13 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Remove from oven (carefully, with an oven mitt!), and serve immediately with veggies or tortilla chips. Cilantro and lime juice make a colorful and delicious garnish.
Best when fresh, though leftover dip can be stored in the refrigerator up to 3-4 days. Reheat in a 350 degree F (176 C) oven (or in the microwave) until completely warmed through.
- $1.20 per serving
- 9 ingredients
Why Is It Healthy?
- Jalapeños contain Capsaicin which has impressive health benefits, particularly as an anti-inflammatory- it also aids in weight loss (specifically belly fat).
- Cashews are full of healthy fat and protein. They also contain a “therapeutic amount” of tryptophan, which can boost mood.
- Corn is an inexpensive veggie that provides quick energy and sweetness to any meal.