Blueberry Quinoa Salad
Highlighted ingredients can be bought at the Market!
- 1/2 cup dry quinoa (red or white)
- 1 cup vegetable stock (or sub water)
- 5 oz mixed salad greens
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts unsalted, roasted
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1 Tbsp grape seed oil
- 2 shallots minced (or sub 1/2 cup yellow onion)
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1-2 Tbsp olive oil (or sub more)
- pinch each salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup blueberries
Prepare quinoa by rinsing thoroughly with cool water in a fine mesh strainer. Then add to a small saucepan with vegetable stock (or water) and bring to a boil over high heat.
Once boiling, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed and quinoa is fluffy like rice. Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
In the meantime, prepare dressing by heating a small skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add 1 Tbsp grape seed oil, shallot, and sauté until tender and slightly caramelized - about 5 minutes - stirring often. Remove from heat to cool.
Add shallot to a food processor or blender with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, blueberries, maple syrup, and a pinch each salt and pepper. Blend until pureed, scraping down sides as needed. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
To plate, top the mixed greens with slightly cooled quinoa (you may not use it all), blueberries and hazelnuts. Serve with dressing. Best when fresh. Serves 2 as an entrée, 4 as a side dish.
- $1.90 per serving
- 30 minutes or less
- 10 ingredients
Why Is It Healthy?
- Quinoa is a complete protein, providing 8 grams per serving! It’s also a great source of iron. Quinoa cooks quickly for an easy fast healthy meal!
- Blueberries are low glycemic, high in fiber, and full of antioxidants. Blueberries can improve your insulin and glucose levels as well.
- Hazelnuts are high in magnesium, calcium and vitamins B and E. They are good for your heart, help reduce the risk of cancer, aid in muscle, skin, bone, joint & digestive health.
This recipe is from Minimalist Baker
Go to minimalistbaker.com to see more recipes!